See Where Our Water Comes From

The Ann Arbor water treatment plant is actually two separate water plants. The older plant was built in 1938 and 1949 and can process 22 million gallons of water per day (MGD). The newer plant was built in 1966 and 1975 and can process 28 MGD. A tour will be conducted from 10 a.m. to noon, May 22. The event is sponsored by Ann Arbor District Library (AADL) in the Field.

The Ann Arbor water supply is comprised of both surface and groundwater sources. Approximately 85 percent of the water comes from the Huron River—the remaining 15 percent comes from multiple wells located south of Ann Arbor.

This tour is expected to last up to two hours and is approximately 2.5 miles from Downtown Ann Arbor. Transportation is not provided, but the location is accessible by AAATA Route 33 and on-site parking is available.

 

To register (required), email FieldTrip@aadl.org. Directions will be provided upon registration.

Leave a Comment